“We, the undersigned, recognise that we are in a significant historical moment regarding sexual harassment. We wish to harness this cultural shift to create lasting change, turning the initial important conversations into actions that will help us to build a better, safer and kinder city.
We support the new Over To You Scheme, launched by Survivors’ Network here in Brighton & Hove, that calls on all local businesses and organisations to take the necessary steps to protect their staff and customers. Accreditation will be awarded to those who sign a five-point pledge that lays out practical ways that they will address sexual harassment.
The points are as follows:
- Maintain a healthy and respectful environment free from discrimination based on gender to include all employees, customers, clients and others.
- Not tolerate any form of sexual harassment or sexual violence including images or sayings which may objectify or degrade a group of people within the workplace or at any company-sponsored events.
- Immediately and respectfully respond to every claim of sexual harassment or sexual violence by an employee or client regardless of the victim’s gender or previous claims of harassment or violence, and ensure staff are trained and supported to respond appropriately.
- Maintain and actively review a sexual harassment/sexual violence policy for employees, and provide a copy of this to Survivors’ Network.
- Regularly discuss protocol for reporting sexual harassment/sexual violence with employees.
This simple list of promises should already be a priority for businesses in Brighton & Hove, so we are calling on the city to show that we will lead the way in tackling sexual harassment head on.
We support Survivors’ Network in saying “We’ve said Me Too – now it’s Over To You”.